I disagree with the editorial titled “Defunding police isn’t the answer – real reform is” (Eastbaytimes.com, June 10).

This doesn’t mean I think defunding the police is the answer – I don’t. I disagree because I don’t want civilians playing Monday morning quarterback for a high-stress job that requires immediate decision-making. Change to police forces should come from within.

If the outside world continues to demand changes to police departments and those changes happen, there will be consequences. Police will leave their jobs, either forcibly or voluntarily. New people will be recruited to join the police force. These police will be less likely to be the “cream of the crop” and these individuals will be put in the same high-pressure situations the current police face. What happens then? More regulation?

Ian McGuire
Concord

Submit your letter to the editor via this form
Read more Letters to the Editor